I withdraw my buy and lower my twelve-month target to $64.26. Contracted demand still supports rapid growth, but I underestimated the debt, share issuance and valuation discount required to finance it. After the decline, the market looks about right.
Key points
- $24 billion of forecast 2027 revenue remains unchanged from my previous call.
- $66.2 billion of forecast October 2027 net debt leaves shareholders exposed to financing conditions.
- $64.26 a share is my revised twelve-month target; I withdraw my buy.
The call
The market is about right after the fall. Under my financing assumptions, today's price requires $23.6 billion of 2027 revenue at 4.5 times sales. My operating forecast assumes a 13% margin, meaning profit before interest and taxes. Contract growth alone cannot establish what shareholders will earn.
Borrowing paid for the buildout ($ billions)Source: August 11, 2026 Form 10-Q; H1 2026 cash flows; opening cash includes restricted cash.
I underestimated funding risk, not demand. My revenue forecast is unchanged, but credit-market stress warrants more debt, more shares and a lower valuation. Rival Nebius's secured financing shows lenders still fund delivered contracts; it does not guarantee CoreWeave's borrowing. Persistent underperformance reinforces that caution rather than establishing a bargain.
Valuation
| Driver | My estimate |
|---|
| Full-year 2027 revenue | $24 billion |
| Base business value / 2027 revenue | 4 times |
| Premium for scarce AI capacity | $12 billion |
| October 2027 debt less unrestricted cash | $66.2 billion |
| October 2027 shares | 650 million |
| Twelve-month target | $64.26 a share |
Small valuation changes overwhelm the equity ($ per share)GPT scenarios, October 16, 2026; 2027 revenue $24B, October 2027 net debt $66.2B and 650M shares.
The scarcity premium adds half a turn of sales and disappears if delivery failures undermine customer confidence. Cash equipment spending of $50 billion from July 2026 through October 2027 outruns my $14 billion operating-cash forecast; rent remains an operating cost rather than another debt deduction. Even with $4 billion of assumed equity funding, the downside sensitivity and limited expected upside warrant Hold.
Risks
- Funding could tighten further: watch completed borrowing, unrestricted cash and actual share sales, not financing authorizations.
- Deployment could slip: watch active power and recognized revenue against promised capacity, rather than new bookings.
- Cash generation could disappoint: watch customer advances and receivable collections separately from underlying operating earnings.
What would change my mind
I would turn positive again if reported deployment supports my revenue forecast while financing disclosures put October 2027 net debt below $60 billion without exceeding my share estimate.