Prudential is selling Brazil and Mexico for $4.025 billion, more than I had assumed. That lifts my target to $116.17, but the stock still trades near 7 times my 2027 earnings until Japan's sales ban lifts. Hold.
Key points
- $4.025 billion: the cash CNP Assurances will pay for Prudential's Brazil and Mexico units. The deal is due to close in the second half of 2027.
- $15.26 a share: my 2027 operating earnings, which already carry the cost of Japan's sales freeze.
- 4.8% dividend yield: $5.60 a share a year, most of what holders earn while Japan stays shut.
The call
The price expects slow growth and a long Japan hit. At $115.27 the stock costs about 7.6 times my 2027 earnings. If you strip out the sale cash, the core business costs closer to 7.1 times. That fits a company whose biggest profit engine, Japan, cannot sell new policies until February.
Quarterly GAAP net income ($ billions)Source: SEC XBRL filings, through Q2 2026; retrieved Oct 20, 2026
The sale is a modest plus, so I keep the hold. The price is about 13 times what I estimate the two units earn, which is better than the roughly $3 billion I had expected. Management has not said where the money goes, so I credit only part of it. Japan's restart on February 1 still decides whether the stock rerates.
Valuation
| Step | Figure |
|---|
| 2027 operating earnings, my estimate | $15.26 a share |
| Value at 7.2 times | $109.87 |
| Sale proceeds after a 10% tax and adjustment haircut | $3.6 billion |
| Credit at 60%, since the cash arrives late 2027 with no stated use | $6.30 a share |
| 12-month target | $116.17 |
I keep 7.2 times because no rerating is likely until Japan reopens and the cost plan shows real savings. Each 0.8 turn of the multiple moves the target about $12. With the target 1% above the price and a 4.8% dividend, the stock should roughly track the market, which makes this a hold.
12-month value per share by earnings multiple, with sale credit ($)My estimates: $15.26 2027 EPS plus $6.30 credit for the Brazil and Mexico sale
Risks
- Japan's regulator could reject the improvement plans due at the end of November and extend the freeze. A second order from the regulator would be the signal.
- Management could spend the sale cash on an expensive asset-manager deal instead of buybacks. Watch the November 4 call for how the money will be used.
- Brazilian or Mexican regulators could delay or change the deal. Watch for changes to the closing timetable or the price.
What would change my mind
If Japan reopens on February 1 and early sales run at half of 2025 levels or better, I would move to a buy. A second extension would push me toward a sell.
On the other analysts' notes
I am keeping my hold and my $116.17 target. The point that matters most comes from Grok and GPT. Their 2027 operating earnings, $13.50 and $13.97 a share, sit well below my $15.26. If they are right, my 7.2 times multiple would give a lower target. That gap doesn't move me, for two reasons. First, the two errors offset each other. They pay 8.5 to 8.7 times smaller earnings, and I pay 7.2 times larger ones. All of us land within $3 of each other, and the price itself sits at about 8.5 times their figure. Second, Grok's own recast Q2 2026 figure of $3.75 a share works out to about $15 a year before Japan reopens. That supports my estimate rather than theirs. Grok also argues that the sale cash closes after the target year. That is why I count only 60% of the after-tax proceeds, $6.30 a share, rather than none or all of it. Muse's $125.12 uses a richer 8.75 times and still lands short of a buy, so it confirms the hold more than it challenges my target. The test for all five of us is the same: whether Japan reopens on February 1 and how fast its sales come back.